When cyclone Nisarga was expected to hit Maharashtra’s coast, several parts of Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane and other parts surrounding the island city witnessed extensive power cuts. This was part of a preventive forced shutdown initiated by the state-run electricity board. Needless to say, residents of these places were upset and distressed due to this, something they were not equipped to deal with, given that disruption in the power supply is not common in this part of the country.
However, their peers in the Northern and Southern India are more used to power disruptions. They often envy Mumbaikars for their access to the uninterrupted power supply. Things are so bad that the Chhattisgarh State Electricity Regulatory Commission has claimed that people of the state will be compensated if they face prolonged power cuts!
To ensure normalcy during power outages, people in most of these cities rely on inverters. These devices store electricity in a battery. In case of power disruption, it converts the Direct Current (DC) power from the battery into Alternating Current (AC). This can be used by most common electrical and electronic appliances including fans, lights, TV, computers, refrigerators, mixers, and even washing machines.
However, do bear in mind that the more the devices that use the current, the quicker the discharge of the stored electricity. Moreover, to run bigger appliances, one needs an inverter with bigger battery sizes. So the bottom line is that the battery is the heart of the inverter as well as the Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). Hence, selecting the inverter or UPS means paying closer attention to its battery.
Many people often presume that inverter and UPS are the same. However, both devices function differently and have distinct usage. One of these aspects is their switchover time, which alludes to the time taken by the device to transition to battery power during a power cut.
An UPS can switch almost instantly, while an inverter takes slightly longer. This aside an inverter is largely used at homes, while a UPS is used for commercial establishments that have a lot more electrical appliances to manage.
Best Inverter Battery
There are many brands of inverters currently available in the country, and deciding which one to go for your home can be quite perplexing. Let us take a closer look at the features of seven inverters from leading brands to help you make a better choice.
1. Luminous Red Charge RC 18000
Check Price on Amazon
If you reside in a place that faces frequent and long power cuts, then the Luminous Red Charge RC 18000 is a good choice. This pure sine wave type battery has high back-up performance with excellent overcharge tolerance. This means that it accepts very deep discharge-suitable for such regions. Moreover, the battery is made from Luminous’ patented alloy composition. This protects it from corrosion, making it a good choice for areas that have high moisture content in the atmosphere. Additionally, it has been designed to withstand longer power cuts.
Here’s a look at some of the other key features of the Red Charge RC 18000 battery:
- The robust tubular technology plate design is ideal for places with frequent power disruptions
- Since it is factory charged, the inverter comes ready to use. You need not charge it
- The low antimony alloy ensures minimal maintenance
- Battery’s capacity is 150 Ah, 12V
- The sealed plastic housing ensures high durability
- The device requires minimum maintenance
- It has an excellent overcharge resistance
- It comes with a 3 year warranty
- The water level inductor is not given with battery. Hence one needs to constantly check it to prevent leakage
- The battery’s capacity of 900VA is not viable for charging large devices for longer durations
2. Amaron Inverter 150Ah tall tubular battery
Check Price on Amazon
If you want to install a battery in your inverter and then forget about all about it, then consider the Amaron 150Ah Tall Tubular inverter battery. It utilises high heat resistant calcium made from ultra-modified hybrid alloy for its grids. Are you wondering what this means? Well, it means that this design makes the device extremely low-maintenance. Amaron actually claims that it is zero-maintenance, which can be considered as its core competency.
Here are some of its other aspects:
- The battery’s high heat tolerance capacity is ideal for Indian weather
- The factory charged unit has high reserve capacity
- It charges quickly and easily
- It contains a low lead reserve
- It has an extended warranty of 48 months
- It does not lose water easily, hence maintenance cost is reduced
- The battery is easy to install
- Slightly expensive for home buyers
3. V-Guard VT160 150 mAh Inverter Tubular Tall Battery
Check Price on Amazon
Often people like to buy a battery that belongs to the same brand as their inverter for synchronicity. While this is not necessary, it is perceived that it helps in the functioning of the inverter or UPS. If you too share this opinion and have a V-Guard inverter or digital UPS, then the V-Guard VT160 150 mAh Inverter battery is its ideal match. That said, it also works well with machines from other companies. The battery has been designed to deliver augmented efficiency while ensuring that it remains durable in Indian conditions given the fluctuating power conditions.
Want to know more about it? Here’s a look:
- The VT 160 battery works with most UPS brands other than that of V-Guard
- Its power backup varies from 3.40 hours to 54 hours, depending upon the load of the appliances that are connected to it
- It requires around 21 litres of acid
- It carries 30 months of standard warranty with an option of extending it to another 18 months
- The battery has a sturdy built and requires minimal maintenance
- It is very reliable in deep cyclic application and areas that encounter high power shortage
- Its gross weight of 56 kg makes it a heavy device
4. Luminous SC18054 150AH Battery
Check Price on Amazon
Having a level indicator is a great help when it comes to any battery. That way, one knows when the fluid needs to be topped up to ensure that it functions optimally. The Luminous SC18054 150AH battery has a level indicator, which makes it easy to maintain, as one can keep refilling the fluid, which reduces its overall maintenance. Its thick tubular plates are ideal for areas that experience frequent and prolonged power outages.
That’s not all. It packs several other features. Here’s a quick look:
- Luminous’ tubular plate technology offers longer backup
- The constant distribution of positive active material ensures protracted durability coupled with superior performance
- The company’s proprietary corrosion-resistant spine alloy composition provides the battery with a longer life
- This battery is a great solution for areas with extended and recurrent power cuts
- Its puncture-resistant polyethylene separator minimizes the likelihood of internal short circuits, which makes it very safe
- It is very easy to install
- The distilled water needs to be regularly monitored to prevent leakage
5. Exide 150Ah Insta Brite Inverter UPS Battery
Check Price on Amazon
Exide 150Ah Insta Brite Inverter UPS Battery has a float guide that indicates its electrolyte level. This makes it one of the easiest devices to maintain, not to mention one of the safest around. Let’s take a closer look at some of the safety features built into it. For instance, it has a clean top surface, which minimises the chances of surface leakage. Here are the other attributes of the Exide 150Ah Insta Brite Inverter UPS battery:
- Its hybrid technology and thick plate construction with a special paste formulation can withstand high temperatures
- The hybrid alloy system reduces premature failure
- The float guide indicates the electrolyte level for easy handling
- Its moulded handles make it spill-proof
- The device comes with a standard three-year warranty
- The moulded handles with vented lids make it easy to handle the device, which includes facilitating its installation and removal
- The top vented lid has anti-splash guards fitted with coin flush vent plugs. This makes it spill-proof
- The spark arrestor in the float restricts the creation and distribution of fumes and acid during operation
- The batter’s clean top prevents surface leakage
- Given the varied safety features incorporated into it, the device is slightly expensive than other models
6. Livfast 150 AH/12V Flat Plate Inverter/UPS Battery
Check Price on Amazon
If you live in an area with recurrent power failures, you have to deal with a double whammy. You need an inverter or UPS to keep your electrical and electronic appliances working all the time. At the same time, the battery of this power backup device needs to charge quickly whenever the power supply is available.
If you find yourself in such a situation and need a battery that charges quickly, then the Livfast 150 AH/12V Flat Plate Inverter/UPS Battery is a safe bet. The company claims that it takes 25% lesser time to charge, and yet manages to provide 25% extra backup. This looks like a good deal, doesn’t it? It also has several safety features built into it, so you know that it can function well and safely at the same time.
Want to know more about it? Here you go:
- The battery’s flat plate technology charges 25% faster as compared to other models
- It has a deep discharge cycle design with 100 AH – 230 AH power
- The combination of negative active material with active carbon provides 25% extra backup
- LivFast provides 24 months warranty on the battery with an option to extend for 18 months
- The battery’s spill-proof design is engineered for safety, precision, and performance
- At around 45 kg, it is much lighter than models from other brands
- This brand is not as well-known as Amaron, Exide, or Luminous. Hence, check whether it works with the UPS or inverter that you currently use or are planning to buy
- LivFast has a limited network of service centres. This means that you might have to rely on a local technician in case the battery needs any urgent service
7. Luminous RC 25000 200AH Tubular battery
Check Price on Amazon
Over the years, Luminous has become very popular as a brand in the Indian market. This is largely because of the wide range of its products, which can suit the different needs and budgets of customers.
Take the case of the Luminous RC 25000 200AH Tubular battery. It has been created keeping the price-sensitive buyer in mind. This economical UPS battery is made using rugged tubular plates, which makes it ideal for an average home. It promises high performance, requires minimum maintenance, and can withstand long and frequent power cuts. Moreover, the company has built a strong reputation for its service capability, whether it is provided over a phone call or onsite.
But let’s come back to the Luminous RC 25000 200AH Tubular battery and see the features that it packs:
- It has a 200Ah (12V) capacity
- The battery’s tubular plate design ensures superior backup performance
- The recommended inverter rating is 900VA, which fits the bill for most models
- It offers exceptional overcharge resistance. This means that it accepts deep discharge
- The low antimony alloy in the device ensures that it requires minimum maintenance
- It can work easily with UPS from brands other than Luminous, including V Guard and Microtek
- Since it is factory charged, the battery comes ready to use
- Its sealed plastic casing warrants good durability
- It has a charge indicator and electrolyte level indicator, which makes it easy to use
- It comes with an 18-month warranty with an additional 18 months pro-rata warranty
- This product is suitable for areas that experience repeated and extensive power cuts
- It offers long backup time for running multiple devices in an average house, including powering a split air conditioner for a couple of hours
- At 59 kg, the battery can be quite heavy, especially when it is filled with liquid
So, there you have it – a look at some of the best batteries that you can use to power your inverters and UPS. Selecting the right battery is very crucial for ensuring you get the most out of your inverter.
Always select a battery model that will maximize your inverter’s productivity. And then check if that model is compatible with your inverter, so that you do not end up with a wasted purchase.
It always helps to invest in a battery from a well-known brand because these come backed with good quality, which is a result of the company’s investment in R&D. Moreover, the bigger the brand, the better their service network will be across the country. So, should you need any assistance with installation or post-sales support, you know that help will be easier to access.
Choosing The Right Inverter
If you plan to buy an inverter you first need to take stock of the appliances that you need to run when the power is on the fritz. This will help you decide whether you should opt for a Pure Sine Wave Inverter or a Square Wave Inverter.
The former is best for electronic appliances like TVs and computers that need continuous feeds. Losing data while working on your computer and the power suddenly vanishes is every person’s nightmare. Square Wave inverters, which are also called Modified Sine Wave models, are better positioned to run appliances like tube lights and fans, which do not need too much electricity.
An inverter’s key aspect is its battery because that is where the electricity is stored. Hence, this is what one needs to focus on most while making a purchase decision.
There are three types of batteries, Flat Plate, Tubular and Maintenance Free. Of these, the Flat Plate is the cheapest. While Tubular Batteries cost slightly more than these, they have better longevity. Maintenance Free batteries have a comparatively lesser life.
Most inverters are low-maintenance devices. Hence, they do not need any scheduled upkeep other than attention in case it sputters and stops working. The best way to avoid this is to ensure that the batteries are always filled with distilled or RO water. When the right fluid levels are maintained, the inverters can function at their optimal rate.
Till a few years ago, there were companies that specialised in manufacturing inverters, while others focused on producing batteries. Companies like Exide and Amaron, which already manufactured batteries for vehicles, were the obvious choice for batteries. Later, brands like Lumiuous joined the fray.
With increasing globalisation, most inverter companies have adopted an integrated manufacturing model. What this means is that they build both products. So the batteries and inverters can work cohesively, be it from brands like Microtek, V-Guard, Su-Kam or Luminous.
To exhibit that their devices work best together, these companies offer long warranties, sometimes spanning three years. When one company is responsive to the battery as well as the inverter, its same service engineers can maintain the device on a regular basis and also conduct pre-emptive troubleshooting without passing the buck from one brand to another.